Thursday 5 August 2010

Hello Yesterday

Hello Yesterday
"YESTERDAY IS GONE..."On Sunday I went to see my uncle at the ICU. He was very ill for about 3months but nobody except his immediate family was allowed to see him until last weekend. Uncle A is a very close one to me, and he has helped me alot in my life. He is a good man, a kind-hearted person, a loving and caring gentleman. He fell ill quite suddenly and was admitted to the hospital in July. None of us got a chance to see him as he was not all that fit to have visitors back then. So yesterday was our chance...the chance that I had been waiting for months to meet. The last I saw him was in July, just before he got ill...he was a fit and happy man then. THAT WAS HIS YESTERDAY. So we were mentally prepared to see him as the nurses and his family instructed us not to get too emotional as he'd be upset then, therefore his condition would deteriorate further. "

"Today is all we have..."

So as I walked into the 2nd floor and pressed the ICU doorbell, a nurse answered it. I then told her that I was there to see Mr.A. She then asked one person to walk in at a time, so I left my mum outside, pushed the door and walked in. Inside, WAS A WORLD OF PAIN AND SUFFERING...young and old...with a zillion tubes on them...trying to survive...holding onto the last bit of life they had in them. I wanted to cry. But I gathered some strength and courage. A nurse then came upto me, got me to wash my hands and made me wear protective clothing and gloves before I could go to his bedside. When I set my eyes on him, I witnessed the face of anguish...the face of longing to go back in time...THE FACE OF SEARCHING THAT 'YESTERDAY'. And I suddenly realised that I was a big part of his 'yesterday'. Before he got ill, we used to visit him all the time as he lived in the next street to our's. Today he's bed-ridden...today he's not even able to stand up like he used to...he's not even able to speak cos of the tubes that went through his mouth...today he's not even able to breathe on his own. So his yesterday has now been taken over by sickness and disability. HIS TODAY IS VERY DIFFERENT FROM HIS YESTERDAY. And I was standing there in front of him, and I may have reminded him alot of his yesterday...Hello Yesterday! That's what his heart must have told him cos as soon as he saw me, there was movement in his face...his eyes widened, his lips parted, his hands moved...AS IF TO SAY, HELLO YESTERDAY! I never expected to see my uncle A suffering this way (he isnt very old either), with tubes running all over him and not being able to speak or eat...but I was happy I could see him and that he could see me. I then walked upto him and told him that everything was going to be alright...I patted him on his forehead and I told him that we'll be praying for him (I'm crying as I type this). But strangely I didn't cry when I was with him. Some strength in me made it all easier for me...cos I wanted to be happy just so that he wouldn't feel sad. I asked him if he missed home, and then he raised his right hand gently towards his mouth, indicating that he missed eating food. It broke my heart. I can't ever imagine anyone being in this kind of situation...breathing from a machine, not being able to eat or get up...he was basically a vegetable, except that he could see and hear us, and was mentally fit. I THINK THAT'S EVEN WORSE - TO RECOGNISE EVERYTHING AROUND HIM AND TO KNOW THAT HE CAN'T BE THE WAY HE USED TO BE. I stayed there talking to him for 15mins and then it was my time to go and send my mum in. I said my goodbyes and promised him that I'd visit him again. I disposed the protective wearing, washed my hands and walked towards the door...as I walked away, I turned one last time to take a glance at him...he was staring at me from his bed...I then gave him a flying kiss and quickly turned away so that my tears would not be seen.

Tomorrow is unclear...

Today we are happy and healthy...tomorrow we may not be. Yesterday can come back to haunt us. I hope my uncle A would get better soon and come back home to live his yesterday again. I don't want him to suffer this way...no one should have to go through that. He's very well educated, fairly rich and mostly a very nice man. But none of that can get him out of this situation...except prayers...I believe in prayers and I know he will come out of this soon. Guys enjoy what you have, be content with whatever that you have today, be glad you're not on one of those beds at the ICU, don't complain about things that arent worth it, be thankful for today cos that's all we've got, FOR TOMORROW WE MAY LONG FOR THE YESTERDAY WE HAD. And please pray for my uncle A...thanks in advance. Education, money, goodness or beauty can't save anyone from illness...nothing is permanent...but contentment and prayers heal, no matter what. Take care guys!

"Current Music: HELLO by EVANESCENCE"

Credit: datingforaverageguys.blogspot.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment